Monday, April 26, 2010

Does Your Man Read??

So, a miracle pretty much happened last night...

I got my boyfriend to read.

This is a man who, as far as I know, has read ONE book since high school. He spends his free time playing World of Warcraft and watching really bad action flicks. (On the bright side, this frees up a LOT of time for me to pursue my hobby...reading...without feeling guilty about not giving him all my attention.) I've wanted him to read for the longest time because it's (obviously) such a passion of mine that I would like to be able to share it with him, at least a little bit. And yes, I did give World of Warcraft a shot. I got to level 70 and really enjoyed the game but it was taking up WAY too much of my time. Same reason I gave up Farmville =)

Anyway, I debated for the longest time about what book I would suggest he read and finally settled on City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. Why? Well, it's the genre I love for one. Second, it starts off with a bang and the action never lets up. I knew the story would have to hook him fast to catch his interest. Luckily for me, he DOES like vampires and the like (we share a love of True Blood and Vampire Diaries) so I also knew this book would have elements he likes.

He read eight pages (hey, it's a start!) before putting the book down so he could sleep. I asked him (nervously) what he thought and he said...

"It's frickin' awesome."

Mission Accomplished!!! (If it was up to me, EVERYONE would read and love books as much as I do =)

So how about you??? Does the man in your life or your significant other enjoy reading?? Do you read the same books? If he doesn't, does he give you a hard time about reading or does he encourage and support your habit???

5 comments:

As I Lay Bleeding said...

I suppose I don't have to answer this since you know my man already but for others... YES, my man reads... a lot! So did Ryann's Dad come to think of it. We treat books like music... we read a bit of everything and a lot of whatever we really love at the moment. Paul has finally stopped reading Physics books and started Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, and I bought him V-The Second Generation yesterday at B & N. I think I'm gonna read that when he finishes!!

starcakeastrology.blogspot.com said...

Ha! I love this post! My man does read a lot! He also plays WOW a lot.

Vanessa said...

Mine recently started reading again. We go to college together and I went home one weekend without him. His friends were busy, he was bored, he decided to read a book that was assigned for one of his law classes (he's not in law school yet, more like pre-law class, I guess). He ended up getting really into it and reading the whole thing. And then another book. And another. And another. The funny thing is, they've all been law books (including text books), not even "fun" ones. Since he's started reading, he's even more excited about law school since he knows he really IS interested in the field. Plus, he used to be known to fall asleep after about 8 pages of any given book.

Anonymous said...

Mine does not read novels very often, but he does like hearing about what I read. He just does not have the patience to finish a whole novel tho. I have tried.

Angelique said...

@Books and Bane: LOVE how you compare books and music, that's a really lovely idea and I think it's gonna stay with me =)
@starcakes: At least he has hobbies besides WoW...my man lives and breathes it lol..
@Vanessa: Then there is hope for mine!! Maybe I should try to find him books about something he is passionate about...I know I for one love that feeling of stumbling across something that interests you and then devouring everything you can on the subject.
@Insert Book Title Here...Yeah, that's how it is with my guy for the most part. I'm not giving up though!