Sunday, June 13, 2010

Horns (in progress)

I'm reading Horns by Joe Hill and...wow...what a crazy interesting story! Ig, the main character in the book, wakes up after a drinking spree the night before to find he has sprouted horns on the top of his head. At first he thinks maybe he has lost it and they're not really there but everyone confirms that they can see the horns also...even though they act like it's really not a big deal. Now, suddenly, everyone he comes in contact with starts telling him their most secret and darkest thoughts. The kinds of things a person would never really act on, much less speak out loud. And they are pretty much asking for his permission to act on these things. He also finds that if he touches a person he can see the dark secrets they are hiding from the world, things from the past they would probably like to leave buried.

We learn early on that his girlfriend had been raped and murdered and the whole town is convinced he did it but got off due to his parent's money. I'm currently in the second part of the book which flashes us back to the time before he grew horns, before his girlfriend was murdered, when events were happening that would shape the man he was to become.

Joe Hill can tell a story, lemme tell you. I can't wait to see where this story goes and since it is such an original idea, I can't even BEGIN to predict where it's gonna take me!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Angelique (cool name btw)! Thank you for following my blog, I really appreciate it! :)

As for this post...

Horns is on my TBR list. I've met Joe Hill in person, four years ago, when he was promoting 20th Century Ghosts and Heart-Shaped Box. He's an awesome and funny guy.

Anyway, enough of my rambling, cool review so far. Write and read on!

Angelique said...

Should be finishing this one up too...and good thing, it's about to get me fired! (Ok, not really...but I've been taking an awful lot of breaks at work so I can go read =)

How lucky you got meet him! I was hoping he would be at SDCC this year but no such luck.

throuthehaze said...

Wow! This sounds really good. Thanks for the recommendation :)