Tuesday, April 13, 2010

New Books!

Oh, the lies we tell ourselves...such as "I'm only going to buy ONE book per paycheck for a couple of months cause I have a huge TBR pile already and I think (somewhere in a rarely accessed area of my brain) that actually saving some money might be a good thing." This would mean one new book every two weeks.

Epic fail.

Here are the 5 new books I got this week...

Photobucket
From Goodreads....
Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.


Photobucket
From Publisher's Weekly...
The last normal moment that Mia, a talented cellist, can remember is being in the car with her family. Then she is standing outside her body beside their mangled Buick and her parents' corpses, watching herself and her little brother being tended by paramedics. As she ponders her state (Am I dead? I actually have to ask myself this), Mia is whisked away to a hospital, where, her body in a coma, she reflects on the past and tries to decide whether to fight to live. Via Mia's thoughts and flashbacks, Forman (Sisters in Sanity) expertly explores the teenager's life, her passion for classical music and her strong relationships with her family, friends and boyfriend, Adam. Mia's singular perspective (which will recall Alice Sebold's adult novel, The Lovely Bones) also allows for powerful portraits of her friends and family as they cope: Please don't die. If you die, there's going to be one of those cheesy Princess Diana memorials at school, prays Mia's friend Kim. I know you'd hate that kind of thing. Intensely moving, the novel will force readers to take stock of their lives and the people and things that make them worth living

Photobucket
From Goodreads...
A prodigal son

A dangerous love

A deadly secret . . .

I stood back and watched his movements. Daniel had that way about him that could shut me down in an instant. . . . I kicked the gravel a couple of times and worked up my courage again. “Tell me . . . I mean . . . why did you come back? Why now, after all this time?”

Grace Divine, daughter of the local pastor, always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kalbi disappeared—the night she found her brother Jude collapsed on the porch, covered in blood. But she has no idea what a truly monstrous secret that night really held. And when Daniel returns three years later, Grace can no longer deny her attraction to him, despite promising Jude she’ll stay away.

As Grace gets closer to Daniel, her actions stir the ancient evil Daniel unleashed that horrific night. Grace must discover the truth behind Jude and Daniel's dark secret . . . and the cure that can save the ones she loves. But she may have to lay down the ultimate sacrifice to do it—her soul.


Photobucket
From Goodreads...
All that stands between her daughter’s life and death is a tenth grade education, a zealous group of Baptist ladies, and 1.8 million Google hits.

If faith is all her daughter needs to be cured, Babs is sure the church and her family have more than enough. When twelve-year-old Ashley falls into a coma and is diagnosed with diabetes, everyone in their small Texas town deals with it the way they deal with everything else: food, friendship and prayer. But when Ashley develops a rare and deadly allergy to insulin – the only medicine that can keep her alive - Babs turns to the Internet and science instead of friends and God to find the cure the doctors say isn’t there. What she discovers is an answer no one wants to hear: a risky stem cell operation that pits her against her husband, her faith, and the conservative church that’s been their biggest support.


Photobucket
From Goodreads...
Only two weeks ago, life was all too predictable. But that was before I saw my first ghost. Now, along with my supernatural friends Tori, Derek, and Simon, I’m on the run from the Edison Group, which genetically altered us as part of their sinister experiment. We’re hiding in a safe house that might not be as safe as it seems. We’ll be gone soon anyway, back to rescue those we’d left behind and to take out the Edison Group . . . or so we hope.

7 comments:

As I Lay Bleeding said...

Oh you suck!! Now "I" want to read all these books. You're killin' me! (I secretly love it though!) So much good stuff to discover, right? Can't wait for summer and reading by the pool! I'm sure it sounds better then the actual experience but I am aiming to find out for myself!!!

Angelique said...

That sounds SOOO awesome!! I personally would like a hammock and a shade tree and some sweet tea...and a winning lottery ticket so I can kiss the 9-5 goodbye!

Nicole said...

I've read "If I Stay" and "The Dark Divine" and loved (!!!) them both.

Unknown said...

Only one book per paycheck?! Who could keep that kind of promise? :)

If I Stay is awesome--you won't be able to put it down.

Cafe Fashionista said...

I am DYING to hear your thoughts on both "Hex Hall" and "The Reckoning." They both sound fantastic. You have such amazing taste in books; now I feel like going to the bookstore and stocking up on some new literature myself!! :)

Leanna Elle said...

At the start of the year I had a rule that I would allow myself to buy one new book for every two I read from my huge TBR list. But who can resist the lure of new books? Not me! That rule did not last!

I ordered Hex Hall this week. Can't wait to read it!

Angelique said...

I have decided to give up any thoughts of specific limits on my book buying...it's just not gonna happen. But hey, it's BOOKS...that's a good thing =)
Hex Hall seems to be THE book of the moment I've noticed! I'm reading If I Stay right now but tomorrow I am diving headfirst "down the hall."
*Wink*